Sunday 25 November 2012

Character Concept Art


Andy Parks

I chose this image because of how the artist has blended the animals and the skin textures together. I also selected it because of the shading and formation of the muscles on the legs.

Below are some credit card concept sketches for my creature/character.


I wanted to get rid of the second head and to lower the body closer to the ground. I used a scribble technique while using a low opacity brush in CS6.


I decided to bulk-up the body and legs while adding prominence to the horns and snake. I felt that the legs and body needed to be bigger. I also felt the horns needed to be sharper.


I chose to get rid of the snake, smooth out the head, increase the size of  the chest and to draw more natural curves to the legs. I thought that the snake had to go due to my personal taste, the legs needed to look more real and the body needed more shape.


I decided to add a scorpion tail and a mane to my creature and elongate the head. I decided that a scorpion tail was a great alternative because it adds believability. I also experimented with adding a mane to it.


This is an image from halfway through my final piece due to the faint outline of my previous concept image.


This is my final piece. I am really pleased with the final result due to the shading on the scorpion tail and the body, i also like the detail on the mane and the facial features. I don't like the shading on the legs and the mane because of the blotchy detail.


This image was used as reference for the cat's tail.


I used the mane of this lion as a reference to my creature's.


This lion's legs were used as a reference for my creatures' legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment